It's a bit of a rocky road, but worth it in the end:
- Feel sick over the weekend (or face some major failure or disappointment). You'll have ample reason to feel sorry for yourself.
- Drag yourself to Safeway with your two young children and let your seven-year-old talk you into buying artichokes.
- Will these artichokes to be the tightest, biggest, most gorgeous specimens you've seen in a long while. Especially for your neighborhood Safeway, which usually resembles a 7-Eleven.
- Drag your two young children up to Urgent Care to get a different prescription and spend a long time on the phone with the consulting nurse after being told the wait to see a doctor is FOUR HOURS.
- Come home and put the giant artichokes in the steamer. Let your children watch a ridiculous movie on Netflix while you fold six loads of laundry.
- For the dipping sauce, melt an entire cube of butter, add one minced garlic clove and the juice of one small lemon. Embrace such falsehoods as "I'll use the extra butter for tomorrow's dinner!," or "The children are really eating a lot these days!"
- Witness with wonder how you and the kids rip into those artichokes--the dipping, licking, sucking, grabbing glory of it all.
- Stop feeling sorry for yourself and love this moment at the end of the day--in sickness or in health, for butter or for worse, at the table together.
It's artichoke season. Go find a few and feast.