This is Padré. A rescue lab mix that's been part of our family for two days. Our first family pet ever, and it's clear that he's home. He's at home with us and we're at home with him. Everyone's making fun of me because this dog was supposed to be an answer to the kids' entreaties. But guess who is checking on him at night and filling up his treat jar? Like so many other times in my life, I didn't know what I was missing. (Thank you to Happy Tails, Happy Homes. You hooked us UP!) And, surprise, he is completely food-focused. He was a stray, so I can't even glance toward the kitchen without him perking up. I think he'll fit right in.
I've heard through the grapevine that some pictures of our house are in order. It's funny how reticent I've been to go public. I think it's because I'm used to seeing the perfectly curated, soft-lit photos on Pinterest. Ah, the sin of comparison. I had a pivotal conversation with my (very accomplished) friend Geoff once about my consulting practice. I said, "Why would someone hire me when they can hire YOU?" He said, "Sarah, if we all thought like that, there would be no point in getting out of bed in the morning." It's not about being the best. It's about being ourselves.
So here's my bedroom.
And the meditation corner in my office.
And our living/dining/cooking area.
All these spots are becoming so beloved to me. Little by little, we're finding systems for sorting mail, storing tupperware, keeping the old food disposal working. Are there more beautiful homes in the world? Of course. Are there more organized pantries? Hell, yes! But they're not mine. Gift after gift.
Home is at the top of the list. But there are other things I'm feeling thankful for lately:
- Stillpoint at Beckside where I took a solo retreat this week and felt the Spirit drowning out my fears, insecurities, and hang-ups. Two labyrinths, a little cabin, and lots of clarity.
- Watching the Super Bowl with my father-in law and listening to him give Wyatt a lesson in football.
- Padré. Padré.
- Friday Afternoon Club with our new friends Jen and Jason.
- Deep water running with Liz and my new walking partner Molly.
- Loretta's sixth birthday. I'm so nostalgic this year about her birth, her chubby babyhood, and the crazy blessing of being a mother.
- Earl gray tea brewed in the teapot Yancey bought for me. Whole milk, a little sugar, and winter's not so bad.
One of the thing I realized on my retreat was that I miss writing. So I hope to be here more. And I'm happy when I think about you, with your busy life, being here with me. Namaste.